Please review JELF’s loan eligibility requirements and list of our community JELF administrators below.
If you meet our requirements, click here to register.
To be eligible for a JELF loan, the following qualifications must be met:
- Applicant must be Jewish.
- Applicant and family must be a resident of
Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina or Virginia (excluding metro
D.C.) for at least one year prior to completing the JELF loan application.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or have lawful immigration status in the U.S.
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need.
- Applicant must be enrolled full time in a program leading to a degree or professional certificate at a U.S. accredited institution of higher learning.
- Applicant must be planning to use the JELF loan for undergraduate study, graduate study or special post-secondary training (vocational courses or prerequisite programs).
- Applicants make their own educational plans and determine whether to attend a public, private, in-state or out-of-state institution. However, JELF has a limited amount of funds available each year for interest-free loans. Therefore, in considering funding, JELF looks for
applicants who make sound educational choices for their schools to attend and fields of study and
who take into account, among other things, financial considerations.
- JELF considers undergraduate applications before considering graduate applications.
- JELF's interest-free loans provide "last-dollar financing" (i.e., the dollars that bridge the gap between a student's total financial resources and the cost of attending school). For that reason,
applicants must demonstrate that they have sought and accepted financing from all available sources, including government
(e.g. Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized) and other loans, scholarships, family contributions, and personal earnings. (Information on government loan programs is available at www.studentaid.ed.gov.)
- Applicants must provide at least one co-signer for JELF loans. The co-signer must be credit worthy and have the ability to repay the full amount of the loan if the borrower fails to do so. JELF reserves the right to request a second co-signer. JELF also reserves the right to contact co-signers,
require tax returns for proof of income, and run credit checks on co-signers, with permission.
- Applicants who receive JELF assistance must be in good academic standing and
have a minimum cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 to be eligible for
initial and continued funding.
- Applicants who are granted JELF funds must begin repayment 6 months after graduation or termination of course of study (with up to 8 years to
Local JELF Administrators
JELF is proud to partner with 22 agencies within our 5-state region to administer our loan program at the local level. Each of these partner agencies has a designated Local JELF Administrator, or LJA. Students who apply for JELF assistance, along with their co-signer(s), are required to have an interview with their LJA. During the completion of this application, contact the JELF Administrator in your home community, listed below, to schedule your interview.
If you are a permanent resident of Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina or Virginia (excluding metro D.C.) but do not live in or within approximately a 1 hour drive of any of these communities, contact JELF’s central office at (770) 396-3080 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how to complete the application process.
|Gulf Coast JFCS|
Ms. Gail Allen
14041 Icot Blvd.
Clearwater, Florida 33760
|David Posnack JCC|
(Broward County residents only)
Ms. Maya Harvey
David Posnack JCC
On the Nina & Louis Silverman Campus
5850 S. Pine Island Road
Davie, Florida 33328
954-434-0499 ext. 370
Ms. Hilary Rotenberg
8540 Baycenter Road
Jacksonville, Florida 32256
|Jewish Community Services of S. Florida|
(Miami-Dade County residents only)
Ms. Laurie Turner
11155 S.W. 112 Avenue
Miami, Florida 33176
(305) 271-9000 ext. 266
(Orange and Seminole County residents only)
Ms. Lisa Wayne
Roth Family JCC of Greater Orlando
851 North Maitland Avenue
Maitland, Florida 32751
(407) 645-0923 ext. 248
|Jewish Family and Children's Service of N. Palm Beach County|
(Boynton Beach north to Jupiter, Martin County & St. Lucie County residents only)
Ms. Olivia Tartakow
5841 Corporate Way, Suite 200
(P.O. Box 220627, W. Palm Beach 33422)
West Palm Beach, Florida 33407
|Jewish Family Services of S Palm Beach County|
(Boca Raton, Delray Beach and Highland Beach residents only)
Ms. Shari Waknin Cohen
21300 Coleman Blvd.
Boca Raton, Florida 33428
|The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee|
Ms. Andrea Eiffert
Klingenstein Jewish Center
580 McIntosh Road
Sarasota, Florida 34232
Ms. Chanita Moore
522 N. Howard Avenue
Tampa, Florida 33606
|Volusia-Flagler Jewish Federation|
(Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach, Deland, Deltona, Orange City and Palm Coast residents only)
Ms. Gloria Max
470 Andalusia Avenue
Ormond Beach, Florida 32174
Ms. Yael Stein
4549 Chamblee Dunwoody Road
Atlanta, Georgia 30338
|Augusta Jewish Federation|
Dr. Daniel Chejfec
898 Weinberger Way
Evans, Georgia 30809
|Savannah Jewish Federation|
Mr. Adam Solender
5111 Abercorn Street
Savannah, Georgia 31405
|Jewish Family Services of Western N Carolina|
(Greater Asheville area)
Ms. Anne Wainer
2 Doctors Park, Suite E
417 Biltmore Avenue
Asheville, North Carolina 28801
(828) 253-2900 ext. 12
Ms. Nicole Levine
5007 Providence Road, Ste 105
Charlotte, North Carolina 28226
|Durham-Chapel Hill JFS|
Ms. Jenny Schwartz
1937 West Cornwallis Road
Durham, North Carolina 27705
Ms. Betsy Gamburg
5509-C W. Friendly Avenue
Greensboro, North Carolina 27410
(336) 852-4829 ext. 225
Ms. Mor Kantor
8210 Creedmoor Road, Suite 104
Raleigh, North Carolina 27613
(919) 676-2200 ext. 114
Ms. Sara Sharnoff Chesley
176 Croghan Spur Road, Suite 100
Charleston, South Carolina 29407
Ms. Laney Cohen
306 Flora Drive
(P.O. Box 23257, Columbia 29224)
Columbia, South Carolina 29223
(803) 787-2023 ext. 220
Ms. Christine DeMaioribus
6716 Patterson Avenue
Richmond, Virginia 23226
(804) 282-5644 ext. 234
Ms. Michelle Walter
5000 Corporate Woods Dr., Ste 400
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23462
Print this Page